March 16, 2009

Luck O' the Irish

Yea!.... these pictures are from our pre-digital times. I finally figured out how to scan some from our older scrapbooks.

One of our engagement pictures.

Eating Corned Beef and Cabbage just after we got engaged.



My man with my ring!



I'm not Irish by any stretch but St. Patrick's Day is a HUGE deal to me. Brandon and I got engaged on March 17, 1997. This was not one of those planned engagements where the soon to be bride and groom have been talking about it for months, she picks her own ring and is just waiting for it to be official. This was the best surprise of my life. We knew we were in love, we knew we would get married some day but we had plans first. At least that's what I thought. On that fateful Monday I worked till 6pm like always at the preschool where I taught then headed home. Brandon had called me at work to see if he could come by and talk to me after dinner. I was sure something was wrong. We never saw each other on Monday-Thursday evenings except for special occasions. We both were carrying full loads at separate universities. I worked 2 part-time jobs and he worked odd hours as a bell man at a hotel. Our schedules were crazy to say the least. But that night he came by and took me to the park to talk..... He got down on one knee with this enormous sword that had my ring tied to the center, read a beautiful poem and asked me to be his wife. I said yes after I told him to get off his knee since I was worried he would hurt it...(he has a really bad knee held together by a big metal screw.) I'm such a mood killer sometimes!



12 years later I still get tingles when he comes into the room.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Oh that is SO Sweet. Jeff proposed to me at a park too, and our 12 year anniversary is in two days..March 19, 1997. Thanks for sharing, and I love to see the old photos- too fun!

Anonymous said...

I remember that night so well... You were so confused, it was so cute!!! And we were all in on the secret.

Heidi said...

That's really sweet. He's a good guy.

Heather said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures!! What a cute blog post!!

Unknown said...

I can't believe it's been 12 years. Where has the time gone? We were all so glad that he proposed... definitely your best boyfriend BY FAR!!

Kellie said...

This is awesome. In Provo, it seems like the norm is to have 3/4 of your wedding planned by the time you get engaged. I'm glad you got surprised. That's so romantic!

Vincent Family said...

I had no idea....how sweet! I loved the pictures from the past!

Hoskins Family said...

What a great story! Wow 12 years...that's awesome!