August 31, 2009

Broken Arm!

***No pictures on this one since my camera is buried in a box and I can't figure out how to get pictures from my phone to the computer!***

We have been blessed to have a 3 week window in which to move all our stuff from one house to the other. On the first day of moving we headed over to our new house with a load of boxes. The kids were so excited becuase our new house sits at the end of a cul-de-sac and we gave them permission to ride their bikes in front of the house while we unloaded. As soon as we pulled into the driveway the kids jumped out of the car in search of the bikes and scooters we had brought over earlier in the day. As I unloaded Laney from her car seat I heard a crash. It was Aubrey. Now understand that this is a regular occurance. Aubrey and her body are often times at odds and it causes her to have clutzy moments. When I didn't hear any immediate screaming I was very relieved but then in a very clear voice Aubrey yelled "Mom, my arm is crooked and not in the place where it is supposed to be." I ran to where she had fallen 2 doors down which incidentally is her best friends house. Aubrey was laying in their driveway next to her scooter. When I saw the odd angle of her arm a few inches above her wrist I knew it was bad. I yelled for Aubrey's best friend and her mom to come grab the baby and sent Austin down to get Brandon with the instructions that he was to tell daddy to clear out the car and drive it down the street so that we could take Aubrey to the hospital. A couple minutes later Brandon brings the car down. He takes one look at Aubrey laying on the ground and blacks out. Down he went! He said later it was like the whole world was spinning. So in that moment I am looking at my daughter and my husband and thinking... oh Crap!!! I then say to Anne, my wonderful neighbor, dear friend and mommy to Aubrey's friend and say... "I'm going to leave Brandon on your grass (he's just laying there apologizing) and take Aubrey to the hospital. Watch Austin and the baby till he can sit up." I gave Austin and Brandon a hug and set off for the hospital. In the next 24hours Aubrey had to have her arm set twice. The first time was in the ER at 1 am 6 hours after the break and the second time was at the orthopedics office the next morning. They gave her the option to have surgery or the second setting and she choose to have it set while awake so that she could eat! This was the MUCH more painful option. She was starving and surgery wouldn't have been for 8 more hours in which she would have been unable to eat. That's my girl, never let anything get between you and a meal!! Both times the doctors and nurses commented that they had never seen a child so calm during the procedure. She was amazing. She is still in a splint and will be having it casted on Wednesday. What fun!!

7 comments:

Vincent Family said...

First, you can borrow my camera...you know everyone is waiting for pictures :) Second, I love how Aubrey made an executive decision on surgery based on how hungry she was...that is great!

Lindsay said...

Wow. Aubrey is really brave. I wish I could say the same about your husband. =)

cari said...

LOL. THat is the funniest story ever!! I am sure wasn't funny at the time though. Good for Aubrey for being so brave and I am happy to hear she is on the mend.

Lorie said...

Tawny, first, I am so sorry that she hurt her arm, that sounds awful. Second, that is the funniest story I have heard in a long time. Thanks, I really needed that today...you made my day! I was laughing out loud so I had to stop and read it to my husband who also enjoyed the story! At least it was at the end of summer...maybe that is a good thing. And, I don't blame her, I think I'd choose the food over surgery too!

Unknown said...

I hope she got a good meal for that! or at least chocolate cake!!

Lisa P said...

Priceless. I love the part "I'm going to leave Brandon on your grass." You are woman!

Lisa P said...

As is Aubrey, clearly.