November 22, 2009

UCLA vs. ASU

Aubrey and I headed up to the Rose Bowl last week to attend UCLA's last home game of the season. It was a big deal for our family. My youngest brother Eric and his awesome wife are both members of the Bruin Marching Band. Eric is graduating this spring with his degree in Music Education and for the last few years has worked and played for the marching band.
Here is the our view of the marching band from our (free) seats. Looking out on the field.
Listening to the solid gold sound of the Bruin Band!


My Brother Eric, Aubrey and their 3rd quarter snacks.
My sister in law Mallorie and Aubrey.
Rick Neuheisel, UCLA football coach, addressing all the seniors and their families after the game.

Aubrey hanging out by the field after the game.

After the game the band always plays a short set. This time the senior football team members stayed to sing the school song.
Aubrey and Grandma Sue

Aubrey and Grandma showing off their cool double jointed hands.

Aubrey cuddling up to Grandpa after the game.Just us girls!
Band Shots!

I am so proud of my little brother. He is the one playing the trumpet in the center of this picture. He is an amazingly talented musician and I LOVE to hear him play. One of my favorite memories of him is watching him play the National Anthem at his high school graduation in front of 10,000+ people. He was alone in the center of the field at Vets Stadium in Long Beach. Just him, a trumpet and a microphone. I still get chills thinking about it!

The band has a special way of recognizing their seniors. The seniors stand in the middle of the band and are serenaded by their fellow musicians. I was so touched by the love and friendship these talented individuals have for each other.

I will miss listening to the UCLA band but am excited for the next chapter in Eric's life. Graduate school and a new marching band to work with. He eventually plans to be a collegiate marching band instructor.

2 comments:

Lisa P said...

That's so fun. Last time we went to a UCLA game I ran into Sue as we were leaving--such a small world! Eric's wife is beautiful!

Vincent Family said...

What an awesome day for you and Aubrey to experience! I love hearing you speak of your brother and how much you enjoy listening to his musical talents!!!